Food Introduction for Infants
WHEN TO START:
- Age: 5-6 months is typical.
- Teeth: shows that enzymes are now present for proper digestion.
- Sitting up unattended for proper swallowin.g
- Baby doesn’t push the food right out with their tongue.
- Baby shows interest in what you are eating.
HOW TO START:
- Start with one simple, whole food and slowly add new foods only every 4-5 days, watching carefully for reactions. There is no hurry!
- Allergies occur with foods if they are introduced before a baby’s digestive system is mature, if a parent has an allergy, or with genetically modified foods.
- Use organic foods whenever possible, especially dairy, eggs and meats.
6 MONTHS OF AGE – MASHED OR PUREED FOODS:
- winter squash (acorn, butternut, delicate, sugar pie, pumpkin)
- sweet potato
- brown rice
- flax oil
- sunflower oil
- safflower oil
- goat’s milk
- poultry (chicken and turkey)